Saturday, April 5, 2008

Making Myself at Home

So it's time for me to talk about my shoes.

Since I've been in the working world, I've been notorious for not wearing my shoes at my desk or around my immediate work area when I briefly leave my desk. My co-workers seem to think this is odd. Maybe it is. But I ask: Is it really so weird, or wrong?

I understand that outside of home and in public, it's normal for people to keep their shoes on. But hear me out for a second.

Shoes are primarily designed for walking, so when I'm sitting at my desk almost all day, is it really so odd to remove my shoes? Are your feet really more comfortable with them on? And yes, I know it looks unprofessional, but who can really see your feet under your desk?

There's also this myth that my feet will stink without my shoes on. But it's for precisely this reason that they won't stink, since my feet won't get sweaty from wearing shoes for 10 hours straight. Food for thought.

At my old job, walking around without my shoes caused some problems. Enough so that they had to institute a departmental shoe policy. At my new job, it hasn't become an issue yet. I take that as a positive.

Maybe before long I'll have started an office shoe-abandoning revolution. Just trying to put the "casual" back in business casual.

No comments: