Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Twitter This

I have to say, I'm not a fan of Twitter. In particular, there's one thing that keeps annoying me about this site:

Who actually has enough free time on their hands to follow a stream of celebrity and non-celebrity updates from day to day?

Social media continues to evolve, but just because we can post our every action of every waking second doesn't mean we should. Twitter is narcissism at its worst. And I can't speak much better about its devoted followers.

When you think about it, it doesn't seem right that Twitter stole a popular feature from Facebook and made it its own. The thing is, status updates on Facebook are great because that's not the only thing you use Facebook for. But with Twitter, you're limited to posting banalities like "At Central Park" or "This bar sucks." WHO NEEDS TO KNOW THAT? Who cares?! Like boring blog posts, these are glorified text messages, but Twitter fails where text messages succeed.

Speaking of texts, isn't it amazing how hardly anyone answers their phone anymore? The texting phenomenon has truly revolutionized how we communicate. When you miss a call, people don't even bother leaving messages, because what's the point? No one wants to spend one minute calling their voicemail and waiting to hear what you had to say, only to call you back (or text you, which they could have done in the first place). We rely on texting more than ever simply because it's a quick, asynchronous way to get the information we need.

These days, the less engaged, the better.

Related:
The 12 most annoying types of Facebookers
Local Couple Resolves Argument Using Telephone

5 comments:

holtzab said...

blogging + texting = twitter.

It was inevitible. I've tried to get into twitter, but I've just had a hard time. The weird thing is that I will read facebook status updates, which are essentially the same thing. So I wonder if it's just that a critical mass of my contacts aren't on twitter yet to make it worth my while, or if it really is that as a standalone application, I find twitter boring.

Ken said...

I think it's the latter, my friend. It's too one-dimensional and extends no further than the novelty of quickly updating a web page accessible to anyone.

Unknown said...

This is kind of funny. because I was just writing a post about how I hate talking on the phone and prefer texting. I guess this just makes me a victim of the times? Or perhaps one of the reasons that the times are so messed up to begin with. ha.

Ken said...

Jane—maybe. Nothing wrong with preferring a text over a phone call when you just need information, or aren't in a place to talk. It's just that I hate when people text me with a general "what's up?" If you want to chat, just pick up the phone. I'm still using T9!

Melanie said...

Twitter is awesome! you just have to use it to your advantage. i don't follow Shaq, I follow ESPN writers and the Washington Post. Tiny bits of news.