Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Return


Last weekend I visited Nashville for the first time since moving away almost a year ago. Even though I spent more than five years there, it almost feels like a past life when comparing it to the much shorter time I've spent in New York.

It's strange when returning to your old stomping grounds. Whether it's your hometown or college campus, there's always a surreal sense of familiarity and nostalgia. Since I hadn't really been away from Music City for that long, it seemed like I'd never left. And by the end of the weekend, I felt like I still lived there. Especially when I realized that I know my way around much better than where I currently reside.

But as great as it was to be back and see my friends, it wasn't long before I was reminded of why I left in the first place. For all the wonderful experiences I had there, and for the special place that Nashville holds in my heart, there was that lingering feeling of not completely fitting in; a reaffirmation that the city couldn't offer what I needed in the next phase of my life.

Even so, it all made me more frustrated with the natural bonds that time and space imposes on us. I kept thinking about the movie Jumper, and how incredible it would be to teleport anywhere in the world in a heartbeat. Because even though it's much easier to stay in touch these days, leaving people behind is one of the hardest things. Life goes on, but it's never the same.

3 comments:

holtzab said...

Nice that you got to go back. I've been back to Detroit twice, but both visits were brief - one for a wedding in East Lansing and another for a funeral. I didn't have time to catch up with people, or see my old stomping grounds.

Here is something I was thinking about the other day. Wonder if you had any of the same thoughts, since we're both from Ohio, lived somewhere else for five years, then moved here.

I know a lot of people in New York who are from Ohio. I've also met new people here in New York. But those five years I spent in Detroit are like a black hole now. Nobody I knew in Michigan is really part of my daily (or weekly) life here. Sure I keep in touch, but it's not the same. It's like this five year period that is totally disconnected from the rest of my life.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good time back in Nashvegas. I am disappointed because you didn't quote me :(

Ken said...

Beth, I remember you wanting me to quote you, but I couldn't remember exactly what you said!

Andy, I know what you mean about the black hole thing. I haven't been here long enough to give it much thought, but there is definitely separation between the current and the former life. That's what makes it so odd when they cross paths.