Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Celebrity Sighting #1


So it wasn't long before I had my first run-in with a celebrity in New York City. On Monday I was checking things out at Chelsea Piers, Manhattan's sole ice rink where supply is woefully below demand. It was an interesting experience returning to the rink where I played my last collegiate hockey game almost six years earlier. Has that much time passed already?

Anyhow, there wasn't much going on that Monday morning, other than an open-hockey scrimmage on the West rink and amateur figure skaters pulling some nice triple axles on the East rink. After revisiting the site of my final college game (a hard 3-2 overtime loss to Michigan in the semifinals of the national tournament), I went to the West rink to watch some of the scrimmage over a slice of New York-style pizza.

There were about 15 skaters and one goalie of average skill level playing open hockey. I noticed that in one goal there was a "goalie shooter tutor" covering the net in lieu of a real goalie. Too bad, I thought, that I didn't have my equipment here so I could fill in. It might have been my only chance to play hockey for a while.

When the scrimmage was over, the players made their way through the lobby en route to the lockers. It was then when I looked up at a towering man in an all-black uniform making his way past me. With a quick glance his eyes briefly met mine and I immediately knew who it was: Tim Robbins. (Actually, a graying, soaked-in-sweat Tim Robbins.) Surprised that I'd unknowingly been watching a movie star on ice the whole time, I turned and watched as he headed toward the locker room at the other end of the facility.

I proceeded to check out things in the pro shop, and thought about the remote possibility of ending up in the same elevator with Robbins on my way out of the rink. What would I say? Nothing if I really wanted to play it cool. But what fun is that? It's not everyday when you get the chance to talk to the likes of hero Andy Dufresne or the creepy bad guy in Arlington Road. After all, I don't regret speaking to Johnny Knoxville earlier this year when he was chilling at Binion's in Las Vegas. Our conversation went something like this:

Me: Hey, I really liked you in The Ringer.
Johnny: Ah, thanks, man.
Me: Yeah. Any chance you'll do a sequel?
Johnny: Eh, I dunno.
Me: Bartender...

So yes, I've been that guy. I'm not afraid. If I ran into Robbins during my exit, I thought it might be timely to say something about Bull Durham, since I'd just finally watched what most consider the best baseball movie ever, although I find it pretty hard to top Major League.

Me: Hey, so I just watched Bull Durham for the first time.
Tim: Yeah?
Me: Yeah. It was pretty good.
Tim: Alright.
[LONG AWKWARD SILENCE FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE ELEVATOR RIDE]

Well, maybe some exchanges are better not to have occurred. Especially considering that Robbins was kicked off his high school hockey team for fighting, according to IMDB. Says Robbins, "I'm 6'4½" and I have a temper."

Tim, I loved you in Bull Durham and think you're an excellent hockey player.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome "what-could-have-been" story....how doesn't like the old akward silence??? My cousin once met J. Knoxville...hung out with him at a bar, he had just done Dukes of Hazzard and the Jess Simpson and him rumours were going around. She says he is a really nice guy.........Have great time in NYC, Brad

Anonymous said...

OH sweetie, how very cool. I'm not only ridden with envy but also so very excited for you. I hope you are enjoying every moment, "star studded" or not... Miss and love you much..
Beth

Anonymous said...

Amazing! You should have told him you loved him in Nothing to Lose w/ Martin Lawrence... that was a hilarious movie.

Bradley Imotichey said...

Come on Kenny, You should have challenged Tim to a "Shoot Out"! Represent the Hockeyone.com Ice Posse!

holtzab said...

Makes my Candice Bergman sighting seem like a pile of puke.

Did the move and new job go ok? Drop me a line buddy, we got to hit the town.

Anonymous said...

How interesting. A few years ago I ran into Tim Robbins at La Guardia. I was waiting for my girlfriend at the time's flight to come in. It turns out his sons were on the same flight, which was delayed and it was late at night. It looked like he was busy ready a script, but I couldn't resist.

Ryan: How crazy, I was just watching Shawshank on TV yesterday.

Tim: (blank stare)

Ryan: But I'll leave you alone, you look busy.

Tim: ok

Sweet, huh? I was one of those everyday jackasses to that guy. My thought -- it does make for a better story than to just say I saw him.

Anonymous said...

I just realized how my last sentence undermined your story. Not intentional, I promise. Although, after knowing the response I got from him, maybe it's better you didn't make an attempt. Again, though, when I "met" him it was late and he was in the middle of something. I did feel like a complete jackass. Ha!

Suemac said...

Ken! I didn't know you'd moved to New York City. Next time I have to travel there on business, the beer's on me! suemac

Anonymous said...

Kenny D,
Glad to hear you are surviving so far. I'll be happy to read about your adventures in this new blog, just don't turn into Sarah Jessica or anything. Did you ever see any celebs in Nashville? My sis saw Larry the cable guy once, and I had a few close calls. Joboo appreciates the shout out, by the way :)

Anonymous said...

OK, let's get to the smut. Let me know if you want the celebrity hook-up . . . I'll put you in touch with my friend.